Monday, November 23, 2009

Books, books, books

Of late, I've been buying so many books. Here is the list of books I've acquired in just this one week:

Design Play, S$51.25
I've browsed through quite a number of design books and its normal that you don't always like every project featured in the same book. But for Design Play, I can safely say I really enjoy each and every of the projects featured!


Jamie's dinners by Jamie Oliver, S$44.41
Bought it as a gift for Ember. I picked this because it is my favourite of all his recipe books - from the type of paper used to his cute and colourful illustrations in between recipes. I also personally feel the recipes are the most do-able (as compared to his other books).

Coincidentally, I bought it for Ember not knowing she had owned the same one before (I only found out after giving it to her) but it was lost a few months back because she cannot remember who she had lent it to.


The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski, S$7.90 (2nd hand)
Highly recommended on the Oprah show as a must-read. David Wroblewski is a 48-year-old software developer in Colorado, and took 10 years on and off to complete this book, his first and it's already a bestseller which has received so many wonderful reviews from so many established critics The story revolves around a mute boy and his relationship with his (fictional breed of) dog.


The Best Laid Plans by Sidney Sheldon, S$5.90 (2nd hand)
The Sky is Falling by Sidney Sheldon, S$5.90 (2nd hand)
I like his books, owned quite a few of them; but all bought 2nd hand. It's comfortable to read and entertaining enough to want to keep reading.


Roald Dahl Book Set of 15, by Roald Dahl + illustrated by Quentin Blake, S$117.53
Love this! Roald Dahl accompanied me though my childhood (together with Enid Blyton and Sweet Valley High, of course). There are some books which I have yet to read, so I'm thrilled! And not forgetting I love Quentin Blake's illustrations! Well, the book covers are a newer version, with bright neon colours and all (can't find a photo of the version I have); I would have preferred the original ones better, but this is the only box set available.
  1. The BFG
  2. The Witches 
  3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
  4. The Magic Finger 
  5. The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me 
  6. The Twits
  7. Esio Trot 
  8. Boy
  9. George's Marvelous Medicine
  10. Charlie and The Chocolate Factory
  11. Charlie and The Great Glass Elevator
  12. Matilda
  13. Going Solo
  14. James and the Giant Peach
  15. Danny the Champion of the World 
(The coloured ones are the ones I have not read before, or can't remember reading them.)

More books from Roald Dahl I hope to slowly acquire over time:
The Little Prince
Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories
Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes
Switch Bitch
My Uncle Oswald

No comments:

Post a Comment